Hiccups is a very common problem that can happen to anyone, but if you are having hiccups for a long time, then you should consult a doctor, according to medical science, it has been told that hiccups is a disease that can happen to anyone at any time. Maybe but they also do not have the exact answer why hiccups happen because there are many reasons for this, so if you are also troubled by hiccups then this blog can be helpful for you because in this you will be told about some of the best remedies. By which you will be able to prevent hiccups.
When does hiccups come?
According to medical science, hiccups occur when the diaphragm contracts. In such a situation, whenever there is hiccups, hold your breath, by doing this the carbon dioxide will be filled in the lungs and the diaphragm will work to remove it, as soon as the diaphragm becomes active, the hiccups will stop.
Reasons of hiccups
The causes of hiccups are divided into two parts. One due to hiccups lasting less than 1-48 hours and the other due to hiccups for more than 2-48 hours.
Having hiccups for less than 1-48 hours or for a few hours
There are many reasons for hiccups. The reasons for hiccups lasting less than 48 hours include:
- Drinking carbonated beverages.
- drinking too much alcohol
- eating too much.
- being agitated or emotionally stressed
- Sudden change in temperature.
- Swallowing air with chewing gum or toffee.
Having hiccups for more than 2-48 hours
There can be many reasons for hiccups for more than 48 hours, which can be divided into the following categories.
- nerve damage
- Prolonged hiccups can be caused by irritation or some other type of damage to the vagus nerves or phrenic nerves, these nerves that aid in the function of the diaphragm muscle. Factors that can lead to damage or irritation of these nerves include:
- Having a tumor, goiter, or lump in your neck.
- Sore throat or swelling in the throat.
- central nervous system disorders
- Damage to the affected area due to a tumor, infection, or injury to your central nervous system interferes with controlling hiccups. Examples of this include the following-
- brain swelling
- brain fever
- multiple sclerosis
- the strokes
- traumatic brain injury
- Causes of metabolic disorders and drugs
- Reasons for prolonged hiccups may also include –
- alcohol addiction
- electrolyte imbalance
- kidney disease
Risk factors for hiccups
The problem of hiccups is seen in men for a longer time than in women. There are some risk factors that can increase your problem of hiccups.
- Mental and emotional problems – Anxiety, stress and getting excited about something can sometimes cause hiccups for short and long periods of time.
- Surgery – In many cases, the possibility of hiccups increases due to anesthesia.
Home remedies to stop hiccups
- If you are troubled by hiccups, then lemon and honey are very helpful to stop it. All you have to do is to lick a little lemon juice mixed with a little honey, the hiccups will stop immediately.
- Mix salt in some water and drink 1-2 sips and breathe comfortably. The hiccups will stop in no time.
- Take a long breath and hold your breath for a while, scientists believe that when all the carbon dioxide present in the lungs is exhaled, the hiccups will stop automatically.
- If hiccups are bothering you for a long time, then the easiest way to stop it is to eat three black peppers with some sugar or sugar candy and if you want, drink some water from above, the hiccups will stop.
- Consumption of sugar can also help you to a great extent to stop hiccups. Put some sugar in your mouth during hiccups, your hiccups will stop in no time.
- To stop the hiccups, put some peanut butter in the mouth and slowly bring it down from the throat, the hiccups will stop.
- Consuming a teaspoon of vinegar can also stop your hiccups soon.
- If cold water is drunk immediately after hiccups, it stops. While drinking the same water, close your nose and drink water.
- Keeping an ice bag or a cloth soaked in cold water on the neck also helps when hiccups occur.
- Inhaling and exhaling ten times in a paper bag also stops the hiccups. This slightly increases the level of carbon dioxide in the blood, which relaxes the nerves. This also stops the hiccups.